- Pall Aerospace filters aim to leave #Helicopter competition in the dust defenceiq.com/air-forces-and… 2 days ago
- The future of Helicopter technology: @PallAero filters aim to leave helicopter competition in the dust. Read the Q&… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- Defence community believes adversaries will field battlefield #lasers in next 5 years defenceiq.com/defence-techno… #technology 2 days ago
- New Insight with @PallAero. They provided solutions for the operation of iconic #rotocopters Like this #Chinook!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
- #ArmouredVehicles Report 2017: The continued demand for landmine / #IED protectionhttp://bit.ly/armouredvehicles2017 3 days ago
We are the IQ of global defence.
Will Smartphones Be Combat Tested and Proven for Forward Operations?
April 5, 2011Posted by on
In recent months, the British Army announced its pioneering use of smartphone apps on the battlefield and in training scenarios with its use of the software to augment precision targeting for artillery rounds.
Spending on tech to save money
Troops now use Apple iPads to learn correct procedure and master technical jargon. Given its success, the Royal Air Force is also looking to roll out a 3D imaging app for pilots in order to familiarise them with the appearance of ground targets and vehicles when viewed from the air.
Army training officer Major Rich Gill, who oversaw the initiative, believes the measure will save on costs over more traditional methods.
“If we can use this sort of technology, we can probably shorten the amount of training and that is pretty key nowadays when people are so committed to operations in Afghanistan.â€
A renewed fervour in research and investment in consumer digital technologies comes at a time when many defence forces are looking for streamlined and cost-saving training augments. The Swedish Armed Forcesâ€™ use of off-the-shelf gaming technology to train fighter pilots and the Italian Navyâ€™s use of transference of its learning materials to web-based platforms are two prime examples.
Read the full article at: http://ping.fm/BGlZr