- UK MOD progressing #autonomous military plans defenceiq.com/news/uk-sees-p… #logistics https://t.co/Vtw1mepwJ0 1 day ago
- Is Theresa May right to demand tech firms work harder at fighting #terrorism? Report explores latest efforts… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- SMEs still face barriers to breaking into the defence industry defenceiq.com/news/smes-face… https://t.co/33zQ0nxSyI 2 days ago
- The first multi-purpose OPV for Italy has made its debut this year ow.ly/RCkx30fio66 2 days ago
- Crafting & Executing Strategy: Part 1 #HowTo bit.ly/2gOwhs9X @DruckerTips 2 days ago
We are the IQ of global defence.
Brazilian Armoured Vehicles: A Recent History
March 26, 2012Posted by on
This month, news broke that Brazil’s economy had expanded by 2.7%, with expectation for defence spending to also climb at a rate of 18%, taking the total current budget to around $34.9bn. Aside to maritime patrol and ISR measures, Brazil is spending much of this on a fresh fleet of armoured vehicles, given the country’s concern for homeland security.
Defence IQ has created this handy timeline of armoured vehicle development and acquisition since 1975, tracing both successes and failures of local defence programmes, as well as the immediate threats for the nation’s present and future military vehicle plans, and domestic operations in which its military vehicles have been deployed.
Time will of course tell whether Brazil will avoid the mistakes of its past, as well as whether it makes the right judgement on the future requirements of its land forces – a notoriously difficult aspect of defence spending for international militaries.