- African states 'dangerously under-equipped' to deal with security needs defenceiq.com/naval-and-mari… https://t.co/EvRQpLWqwX 19 hours ago
- Ukraine close to acquiring combat unmanned ground vehicle defenceiq.com/armoured-vehic… https://t.co/hiFSUhvz9t 1 day ago
- RT @NavyLookout: Russia Black sea Fleet AGI (Spy ship) Liman sunk off Turkish coast after collision with a freighter in fog https://t.co/i… 1 day ago
- RT @AirbusDefence: 1st @EjercitoAire #A400M arrives at @FAMEXTweet for static display for rest of the week https://t.co/9F6dn8BmRu 2 days ago
- RT @Reuters: French intelligence report says Assad forces behind April 4 sarin attack reut.rs/2q6dRKl 2 days ago
We are the IQ of global defence.
Brazilian Armoured Vehicles: A Recent History
March 26, 2012Posted by on
This month, news broke that Brazil’s economy had expanded by 2.7%, with expectation for defence spending to also climb at a rate of 18%, taking the total current budget to around $34.9bn. Aside to maritime patrol and ISR measures, Brazil is spending much of this on a fresh fleet of armoured vehicles, given the country’s concern for homeland security.
Defence IQ has created this handy timeline of armoured vehicle development and acquisition since 1975, tracing both successes and failures of local defence programmes, as well as the immediate threats for the nation’s present and future military vehicle plans, and domestic operations in which its military vehicles have been deployed.
Time will of course tell whether Brazil will avoid the mistakes of its past, as well as whether it makes the right judgement on the future requirements of its land forces – a notoriously difficult aspect of defence spending for international militaries.