- Look what we have here! From the vault, 48 pg #ebook no registration required.Our #CyberSecurity Summer Review '16. goo.gl/gNGC1A 7 hours ago
- #USNavy is sending warships on a freedom of navigation op in the #SouthChinaSea. Our warships report keeps count… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- UK Sec of State Michael Fallon tells Munich Security Conference the migration consequences of Afghanistan, and UK d… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- Mattis has given Europe #NATO 2% spend ultimatum. See what the #EU is doing for their own logistics in our intervie… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- #Raytheon Missile Systems looks at the market trends for fighter jets and their place in the mix… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 days ago
We are the IQ of global defence.
UAE firms opens biggest manufacturing space in the world!
April 5, 2012Posted by on
Streit Group, a global armoured vehicle maker, officially opened its new facility in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, which with 120,000 square metres of manufacturing space is the largest of its kind in the world.
The facility was inaugurated yesterday by Sheikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, the ruler of Ras Al Khaimah and a member of the UAE Supreme Council. This is phase I of the build, work is still scheduled to continue throughout Phases II and III where further capabilities and space will be added. Target date for completion is 2014.
At the International Armoured Vehicles conference in Farnborough in February, David Barrs, the UAE Regional Sales Manager for Streit, discussed the company’s growth and the formation of the new facility in RAK.
“We sell vehicles to VIPs, police departments and military, and we are now the biggest manufacturing plant in the world for armouring vehicles,” said Barrs.
“It’s 120,000 square metres, and the reason we chose the UAE is because it is a hub – they come from all over the world – and labour’s a lot cheaper than other parts of the world so we can keep the costs down and compete with our competitors.
“We’re going heavily into military [vehicles] now. We build a Typhoon, which is a warzone vehicle, and we do a border control vehicle called the Spartan, and many, many more. We do 70 different vehicles, so we really go widely across the spectrum.”
With the new facility the Group can reportedly manufacture up to 250 armoured vehicles per month. When all phases of development are complete it is expected to create 2,000 jobs in the region.
Talking to Emirates 24/7, Guerman Goutorov, CEO of Streit Group , said:
“We are delighted with the inauguration of our new facility, and the support that the leadership of Ras Al Khaimah has offered in our operations. The emirate offers a range of public services, such as: easy access to transport infrastructures like ports and airports, flourishing community, cost-effective housing facilities and access to other support services. With our new facility, Streit Group is looking to further penetrate the market for armoured vehicles in the UAE and the region by leveraging superior engineering and world-class design to create the products known for its safety and endurance.”